Food Manufacturing – Packaging – Animal Feed Manufacturing – Farming
FSSC 22000 represents a comprehensive approach to food safety risk management throughout the food supply chain, designed for food and feed safety management systems. In addition, FSSC 22000 includes transportation and on site storage if part of the operation.
FSSC 22000 is recognised by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), and LRQA is a market leader in FSSC 22000 certification and training services.
FSSC 22000 vs. ISO 22000
FSSC 22000 is a complete certification scheme based on ISO 22000 plus the applicable sector-specific technical specifications for Prerequisite Programs (PRPs), including:
- ISO/TS 22002-1 (Food Manufacturing)
- ISO/TS 22002-4 (Packaging)
- PAS 222 (Animal Feed Manufacturing)
Already ISO 22000 certified? You’ll just need an additional assessment against one of the above technical specifications to gain FSSC 22000 certification.
Not yet not certified to ISO 22000? LRQA can help you with a gap analysis to determine your most practical route to FSSC 22000 certification.
FSSC 22000 Version 4
In January 2017, following a 14-month consultation process with industry, certification bodies, accreditation bodies, training organisations and governments, FSSC 22000 launched version 4 of its international food safety management system certification scheme. The scheme requirements include several major changes to improve consistency and to address the growing international focus on food fraud prevention.
The new requirements in FSSC 22000 version 4 respond to stakeholder and market expectations and needs, and provide an up-to-date and rigorous management system for food safety control throughout the supply chain.
FSSC 22000 Certification + Supplier and Second Party Audits
FSSC 22000 helps address the fragmentation of standards across the food industry; however, in response to food scares, major manufacturers and retailers have introduced bespoke standards which can now be harmonised by using FSSC 22000 as a base, and adding specific additional requirements as necessary.
One of LRQA’s specialisms is working with leading food and beverage organisations to develop their own food safety program that is compliant with FSSC 22000 and/or deliver a range of certification and training and support services to help an organisation assess both its and its supply chain’s compliance with all necessary elements of modern, internationally recognised food safety management. Explore LRQA’s Business Improvement Services and supply chain assurance services.
Benefits of FSSC 22000
Effective management systems and independent certification are the two key drivers of a successful food-safety culture. FSSC 22000 is designed to:
- Drive the international harmonisation and transparency of food safety standards, with a global standard that everyone recognises
- Ensure that your whole network of processes will be assessed and monitored using the process-based approach – the systematic identification and management of interacting processes
- Streamline control of internal processes to help minimise significant food risks
- Customers and stakeholders will see that you take a serious and managed approach to food safety
- Increase and improve brand protection and supply chain management
- Help ensure preventive and corrective approaches to food safety management
- Create greater transparency and addresses the fragmentation of standards across the food industry and can be easily integrated into an organisation’s own food safety program
- More efficient and effective third party auditing that ease the burden on the organisation and its regulators who can use the standard as a first point of assessment
- Create cost savings through process efficiencies and streamlined internal and external auditing.
Why choose LRQA for FSSC 22000?
Trusted experience - LRQA has been at the forefront of food safety standards development and is a market leader in ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 certiﬁcation and training. This is why many of the world’s leading food, beverage, packaging and animal feed manufacturers choose LRQA.
Technical expertise – LRQA food safety technical experts contributed toward the development of HACCP, ISO 22000, PRPs and FSSC 22000, giving your organisation and your supply chain the confidence that you’re working with experts in food safety management systems. Our food safety assessors and technical specialists have some of the most extensive ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 experience in the world. Many are hand-selected to provide input into the work of the ISO technical committees as well as the Foundation for Food Safety Certification and are able to provide first-hand insight into requirements of the standard and its logic.
Accreditation - Globally, LRQA has been independently accredited by UKAS for ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 certification.
Impartiality and objectivity – With no shareholders of our own, we are independent and impartial in everything we do. We are committed to acting with integrity and objectivity at all times.
Assessment methodology – LRQA helps you manage your systems and risks to improve and protect the current and future performance of your organisation. Our approach is built on three pillars and extends the focus beyond the certificate to an assessment approach designed to help organisations meet their strategic objectives. And we’re confident that LRQA further helps our food and beverage clients minimise and better manage their food safety risks.