ISO 39001 specifies the minimum requirements for a Road Traffic Safety (RTS) management system, suitable for governments, vehicle fleet operators and all organisations (public or private, regardless of type, size or service provided) that interact with the road traffic system to reduce death and serious injuries related to road traffic crashes which they can influence.
With 1,754 deaths and 193,969 injuries known to have occurred on just the UK's roads in 2012 (newest figures available), this can't be allowed to continue. Governments, road authorities and safety groups can’t achieve reductions on their own however, so are looking to public and private organisations to play their part with ISO 39001.
Benefits of ISO 39001 certification?
- Targets met. Meet safety and social responsibility targets through increased awareness of the legal and best practice issues concerning RTS.
- Responsibility proven. Certification proves to stakeholders that you take these targets seriously.
- Efficiency increased. Identify ways to improve efficiency and optimised resource targeting through better management.
- Business won or retained. Gain competitive advantage by being recognised as one of the first organisations to implement ISO 39001.
Why choose LRQA for ISO 39001?
- LRQA is a member of the Lloyd’s Register group, which has been involved in the business of safety since 1760.
- We have been at the forefront of standards development nationally and internationally for many years.
- Our assessors are management systems experts, including specialists in health & safety, social responsibility and automotive.
What is ISO 39001 certification?
ISO 39001 provides state-of-the-art requirements for safety aspects including speed, vehicle condition and driver awareness to help improve road safety management.
The requirements in the standard include development and implementation of an appropriate RTS policy, development of RTS objectives and action plans, which take into account legal and other requirements to which the organisation subscribes, and information about elements and criteria related to RTS that the organisation identifies as those which it can control and those which it can influence.
One opportunity is for these to be included in public and private procurement tenders and contracts to influence policies in supply chains to further improve road safety.
ISO 39001 is based on the ‘plan – do – check – act’ cycle, and is easily integrated with other business management systems, e.g., OHSAS 18001, ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
It requires a high level of commitment, which needs to be cascaded down through the organisation by senior management, and places emphasis on the demonstration of leadership and sustainable management processes.
Need to know more?
Complete our online enquiry form to speak to one of our Business Advisors.