OHSAS 18001 was been developed in response to industry demand for a recognisable health and safety management system standard which can be externally assessed and certified.
However, OHSAS 18001 is changing to become ISO 45001. The overall aim of ISO 45001 is the same as OHSAS 18001. It is being produced to align the range of national health and safety management system standards into one standard with the intention of ruling-out confusion and market fragmentation.
Benefits of OHSAS 18001
- Protecting your people - a structured approach to hazard identification and risk management which can contribute to the provision of a healthier and safer working environment and the avoidance of a high proportion of accidents and occupational health problems. This should help reduce lost time through employee illness and injury which in turn can lead to improved staff morale.
- Minimising risk - the management of health and safety becoming more transparent and effective by translating the outputs of risk assessment, audits, inspections, legal reviews and incident investigations into action plans to minimise the risk of accidents.
- Legislation – provides a means for identifying existing legislation and other relevant requirements helping you stay within the law. This in turn can lead to potential reductions in liability claims and lower insurance premiums.
- Stakeholder confidence - increased credibility from having an OHS management system independently assessed
- Management system-based – the ‘plan do check act’ basis of this standard is in common with other management system standards, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, meaning it is easier to develop an integrated system.
Why choose LRQA for OHSAS 18001?
- LRQA has been at the forefront of standards development and involved in OHSAS assessment and certiﬁcation for a number of years.
Proven track record
- We have high-proﬁle clients in the ﬁnance, telecommunications, software, internet, consultancy, justice and government sectors.
Health & Safety specialists
- Our assessors are management systems experts qualiﬁed in Health and Safety.
What is OHSAS 18001 certification?
An effective and robust occupational health and safety (OHS) management system can help you turn uncontrolled hazards into controlled risks and so better safeguard the wellbeing of both your people and your business.
Our technical specialists were instrumental in the development of the specification and as part of the Lloyd’s Register Group, which has been involved in the business of safety since 1760, LRQA is ideally placed to provide a range of assessment services to OHSAS 18001. And with the growing pressure for accountability in recent years, certification by LRQA is one very visible way of letting your stakeholders know you mean business when it comes to health and safety.
Integrating OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001
If you have OHSAS 18001 and are thinking about implementing ISO 14001, we can help. Demonstrate that your organisation implements industry best practices for health & safety and environmental procedures and implement an integrated management system certified to OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 . . .