The PAS 223 Food Safety Packaging Standard are prerequisite programmes and design requirements for food safety in the manufacture and provision of food packaging.
Inadequate or poorly designed food packaging that is not appropriate for intended use causes potential food safety risks. It is important that the intended purpose of the food packaging are understood. In this way, any food safety risks can be identified and help shape the design of any packaging.
The specification is aimed at food packaging manufacturing organisations needing to meet the requirements of prerequisite programmes (PRPs) as specified in ISO 22000, the key global standard for food safety.
LRQA are able to provide services to the PAS 223 Food Safety Packaging Standard, published 1st July 2011. We are ideally placed to help you in meeting the requirements of this new specification as our technical specialists were involved with the working group responsible for the development of this technical specification. PAS 223 has been developed to be used in conjunction with ISO 22000, however we are able to provide a gap analysis assessment against the requirements of the specification.
This specification gives requirements for establishing, implementing and maintaining prerequisite programmes (PRPs) and design requirements to help in identifying and controlling food safety hazards in the manufacture of food packaging.
Applicable to all food packaging manufacturing organisations, regardless of size or complexity of operations, it is expected that PAS 223 Food Safety Packaging Standard will be quickly adopted by the industry as a further safeguard in the food supply chain.
Benefits of PAS 223
- Globally recognised – a recognised international scheme for a prerequisite programme for food and drink packaging safety
- Generates confidence – helps provide confidence in food and drink packaging systems
- Consistency – brings consistent standards across international packaging industry practices
- Reputation – allows for third party assessments to be undertaken which brings additional confidence for stakeholders if undertaken by a reputable and trusted third party, such as LRQA
Why choose LRQA for PAS 223?
- LRQA has been at the forefront of standards development and certification for years.
Proven Track Record
- We have high-profile clients in the food and beverage sectors.
- Our assessors are management systems experts qualified in food safety.